Wednesday, September 29, 2010

**Nostalgia - A Walk Down 'Remember When'...**


Nostalgia... I recently saw this defined as a sentimental recollection. A bag of mixed feelings when thinking about the past. I have been experiencing this lately! Why, you may ask??? :) Well, I am coming up on another birthday! I'm feeling pretty good about it! 45 years! Really, I'm feeling good about it! Light the candles and pull out the goofy party hats! When I was growing up, birthdays were celebrated in a BIG way and we were made to feel pretty special on those days! We ALWAYS had cake and we ALWAYS had fun! This was a TOP priority for my mom! She planned the best activities with my friends and family! And my grandpa always helped bake the cakes - even his own!! These days my birthdays are celebrated a little differently, but I still love them! Especially since it comes during my favorite time of the year - Autumn! Ahhh, you can smell it in the air!




So, a few things I have come across on my walk down 'remember when' lane... I am having the best time becoming reacquainted with friends from my high school years on FB - some of my 'BFF's from those days! I am having a great time watching reruns of some of the hysterical sitcoms I grew up with, you know the ones I'm talking about - those funny ones that were on for the sole purpose of making you laugh at life! I mean those long, down to the belly laughs! Recently we even attended a reunion concert of one of the 'big hair' bands from the 80s! (Gee, not much big hair now, in fact, not much hair at all!) Oh, what fun! And did you know that "The Sound of Music" turns 45 this year, too!!


This all brings me to a recent trip I took to a second hand store. I came across a real humdinger (this word makes me giggle!) the other day! (Side note here! I just LOVE jewelry - always have! Whether it's LOUD and 'in your face' or soft and subtle, I love it all! Of course, not that I can WEAR it all!!!) Well, I found a bag of Avon pins from the 70s and 80s (shown above)! They were the adorable little animals with the heads that flip open to expose those wonderful fragrances! Those scents which were saved for special occasions only!! Do any of you remember these? I used to have some of them, but, unfortunately, they were lost somewhere along the way... Until, YES, HERE THEY ARE! They were in a sandwich bag that was marked down half price!!! Imagine my joy when I opened the bag in the car! Flip open the heads and ... YES, ANOTHER SURPRISE!! Those 'wonderful' fragrances were still inside! I guess the previous owner was saving up for a special occasion that didn't take place! Ahhh, my bliss!



Have any of you been experiencing nostalgia lately? I sure would like to hear your story! Enjoy your walk!

3 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

omg! i remember those little avon animals! For some reason i really remember the puppy one at the bottom. Maybe i used to have that one. Thanks for the jog down memory lane!

Maria said...

Great post! And happy birthday to you! I hope yours is/was wonderful with a lovely cake and fun activities.
Vintage Avon pins, heck yeah! :)

Maria said...

Great post! And happy birthday to you! I hope yours is/was wonderful with a lovely cake and fun activities.
Vintage Avon pins, heck yeah! :)